OKAY OKAY I know what you're thinking.. I don't want veggies in my oats!! But...when I'm eating lower carb, this is my GO-TO recipe that ensures that I stay full for hours upon awakening! You cannot taste the cauliflower AT ALL because it's one of those weird veggies that has no taste anyways. Essentially you sub out a little of the oats, which are a carb-dense grain for riced cauliflower, which are comprised mainly of water and fiber. It gives you MORE food for LESS calories.. it doesn't get better than that! Now you can truly savor the flavor of the ooey gooey oat goodness and not worry about feeling as though you are indulging.
20g oats (I used Bob's Red Mill GF)
100g riced cauliflower (found at Trader Joes) or make your own! (to make your own, slightly overcook frozen or fresh cauliflower until it can be easily cut with a knife. chop into rice-size pieces and store in the fridge for up to a week)
1 scoop of protein powder of your choice
1 tbsp chia seeds
optional: 1/2 cup Milk of choice (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
optional: cinnamon, cardamom, cacao powder
- Mix pre-cooked riced cauliflower with chia seeds and oats in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add just enough water to cover the ingredients and heat in the microwave for 60 seconds.
- Stir in protein powder and spices of choice, adding water/milk as necessary to get right texture.
- Add toppings of choice! (my go-to is almond butter and frozen blueberries!)
If you want to make the overnight version of this, so you can just grab it in the morning on your way to work:
- Mix all ingredients except toppings in a mason jar or some other air tight container and shake well in order to remove clumps.
- Refrigerate overnight (or for at least 2 hours).
- In the morning, open jar, top with goodies, and ENJOY!!
- fruit: banana, strawberries, blueberries, plums, etc.
- or all of them!!
- For chocolately oats, add in 1 tbsp of cacao powder and use chocolate protein powder.
- For cinnamon sugar oats, add in dash of cinnamon and dash of stevia and use vanilla or cinnamon swirl protein powder.
- For pumpkin pie oats, add 1/3 cup of pumpkin puree, dash of cinnamon, dash of stevia, and use vanilla protein powder.