Riced cauliflower is my go-to low carb diet hack! I use it in both sweet and savory dishes because it doesn't have much flavor and its texture mimics foods like rice and oats. Cauliflower has 25 calories per cup vs. 218 calories for a cup of cooked brown rice. Cauliflower rice and cauliflower oats are easy and fast to make and are a great alternative to your favorite higher carb dishes. My favorite two low carb recipes are cauliflower fried rice and cauliflower oats - you get 4x the volume of food for the same amount of calories (and extra servings of veggies!)
I buy bags of frozen cauliflower and make 1-2 batches of riced cauliflower per week. Here's what you'll need and how to do it!
- 16 oz. bag of frozen cauliflower
(yes, that's it.)
How to Prepare:
- Add 1/3 cup of water to a pot and place on stove and bring to a boil.
- Add bag of frozen cauliflower to pot, reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until you can easily cut through cauliflower with a knife.
- Remove from heat and drain.
- Let cool and cut cauliflower florets into fine "rice-like" pieces with a knife.
- Store in a clear air-tight container and leave in the fridge for up to 5 days.
For recipes that use riced cauliflower, check out the link below for savory dishes or go check out my blog post on low carb cauliflower oats!