I've adapted a few different recipes to create this baby!! No oil. No butter. No sugar. And Minimal flour. The macros on this are INSANE and it tastes incredible. It's like a brownie had a baby with a banana bread. It's super moist on the inside and slightly crunchy on the outside. This is my go-to recipe when I have a bunch of extra ripe bananas and I'm craving something sweet. If you try it, let me know!
- 3 Bananas, ripe
- 1 Egg*
- 1 cup Protein powder** (I recommend a casein protein powder rather than a whey protein powder because it tends to have a better texture when used for baking. If you only have whey, that's fine, too. If you use casein protein, add 1/2 cup of almond or cashew milk because casein absorbs a lot of liquid.)
- 1/2 cup of flour (I used King Arthur Flour whole wheat but you can use white or gluten free)
- 1/3 cup Maple syrup (I use Walden Farms pancake syrup because no calories or sugar!)
- 1.5 tbsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips are optional.. but I *highly* recommend! :)
*can also sub for flax seed if you don't have eggs
**can also use vegan protein powder
To Create the Masterpiece:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix mashed bananas, maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla, and egg.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the flour, protein powder, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Gradually stir liquid mixture into flour mixture. DO NOT overmix- only mix just until you no longer see dry flour.
- Transfer mixture to greased loaf pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry and the top is golden brown.
- Allow bread to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Then dig in and enjoy!
My Tips for You:
- Sometimes I add maple flavoring to compliment the banana and chocolately flavor. It's totally optional but if you have it, I recommend adding 1 tsp.
- This bread won't last long setting out on your counter because there's no preservatives! I would recommend storing it in the fridge for up to 1 week and sharing with friends :)
- If you need to purchase any dry ingredients, I *highly* recommend Vitacost. I buy everything from them because their customer service is amazing, free shipping on orders over $49 and tons of deals and sales everyday! I have a discount code for you if you'd like to purchase from them: https://goo.gl/NzeZfA