Are you a late night snacker?! Late night snacking is a common problem and can throw off your weight loss. Here are some ways to help you stay on track and quit that late-night snacking which may be sabotaging your health and fitness goals!
- Adjust your meal times and eat dinner later. Instead of eating dinner at 6pm, try for 7 or 8pm so that by the time you finish eating, you don't have much time before bed to get hungry again!
- Drink lots of decaffeinated tea, sparkling water, or just plain ol' water! Sometimes we are just thirsty. Try filling up on calorie free beverages before you opt to eat snacks before bed.
- Be sure to include plenty of fiber in your diet, emphasizing a higher fiber dinner to keep you fuller longer. This will prevent you from wanting to snack after dinner.
- Decide an eating window that you won't eat outside of. This is a variation of intermittment fasting, where you block off a certain amount of hours per day to eat and a certain amount to fast. Apply this concept to your night time routine - make a rule for yourself, I won't eat past ___pm and try sticking with it!
- Stay busy and distracted! Most times we are just bored and so our instinct is to eat because it's enjoyable and will fill the time. Instead of heading to the kitchen, pick another task. Some things I like to do: call a friend and go for a walk (killing 2 birds with 1 stone AND you burn calories!), do some reading or studying, do some housekeeping or clean your room, or surf the web/your phone.
- Wait 20 minutes. Sometimes that's all you need to fight off late night cravings. Distract yourself for a bit and I bet you that the urge to snack will dissipate!
- Keep healthy options in your fridge/cabinets so you aren't tempted to indulge in a sugary overload right before bed.
Do you guys have any other tips that have worked for you? If so, post below!!